Tuesday 2 March 2010

Record Revival- Summercamp, Pure Juice.


Once again, I find myself on the tube flicking through old albums on my ipod that I haven't listened to in a long time and I stumbled across this little gem.

I know very little about the band. I remember picking up this album years ago after Kerrang got all excited about them. As far as I know, they dissapeared after this. A shame as this album is awesome. Each song is reminds me of moments of my youth. I guess the most obvious comparison is Foo Fighters, but truth be told they are a little more pop than that, sounding a lot like Gameface (another great band worth your time if you haven't heard about them).

The best thing about this album is the shifts in pace, from the slight Melancholy of "keep an eye on you" to the buzzsaw pop of "Nowhere near" and the pounding riff that holds down opener "drawer", there is a sense of identity to each song, not just an album of soundalike songs (all too often the case these days).

Beyond the Foos and Gameface comparison, there is even a definite hint of Beatles and Beach Boys in their sound, particularly in some of the vocal harmonies that bring songs like "play it by ear".

I don't think a band has ever been more perfectly named also. This album is pure summer and has certainly been the soundtrack to many a road trip and BBQ for me. As I said, I have no idea what happened to them. I don't even know if this album is still available, but if you do stumble across it- give it a shot, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment